Thinking about buying mulch, soaker hoses or a rain barrel to help conserve water in your landscaping? You can save some money by purchasing those and other select items during Texas’ Water-Efficient Products Sales Tax Holiday, which runs Saturday, May 26 through Monday, May 28.
The Texas State Legislature created the holiday in 2015 to provide sales tax relief for the purchase of water conservation and water efficiency products. Texas residents will be able to purchase – tax free – any item with a WaterSense logo as well as items for personal residential property, including as irrigation hoses, moisture control systems and even plants.
Contractors, landscapers and other service providers can also purchase or sell WaterSense products tax free as well. There is no limit on the number of qualifying items you can buy.
Items are tax free if they are used or planted for:
▪ conserving or retaining groundwater;
▪ recharging water tables; or
▪ decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation.
Examples of items that qualify for the exemption include:
▪ a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
▪ a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
▪ a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
▪ a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
▪ plants, trees and grasses
▪ water-saving surfactants
▪ soil and compost