Houston Environmental Program Director
Experienced, strategically-minded activist wanted for Program Director position with Texas Campaign for the Environment and TCE Fund, the state’s leading canvass-based environmental advocacy group. TCE’s mission is to empower Texans to fight pollution through sustained grassroots organizing campaigns that shift environmental policies. TCE has been a lead organization promoting Zero Waste and its connection to climate justice, policies to improve the clean-up of toxic sites, fighting pollution from the petrochemical sector and other environmental policies through issue campaigns in Houston and statewide.
Campaign Development and Strategy – research, design and implement issue campaign strategies and tactics at the local, state and federal levels. Coordinate with allies, especially most affected communities to pressure key targeted decision-makers. Create campaign materials including reports and on-line content. Familiarity with planning and executing direct actions is crucial. Collaborate with other staff leadership to meet organizational goals.
Support Canvass Staff Development – assist the Canvass Director in training canvass staff through weekly staff briefings, one-on-one meetings and supporting leadership development. Develop materials for the canvass staff. The best tools TCE has to achieve its mission are year-round door to door and phone canvass operations.
Government Relations – engage with decision-makers through conducting communications campaigns by phone, email and letter-writing through the canvass, online tools and other community outreach. Coordinate in-person meetings and public testimony.
Community Engagement and Coalition Building – develop and strengthen relationships with allied organizations, community groups and businesses. Excellent speaking, listening and writing skills. Deliver motivating presentations, organize and train volunteers, and identify potential Board candidates.
Fundraising – help draft, edit and coordinate bi-annual direct mail fundraising efforts, foster relationships with individual donors. Organize fundraising events. Recruit volunteers to assist with peer-to-peer fundraising efforts.
Communications – develop communications plans and host press events. Develop relationships with journalists and editorial writers. Write and submit opinion pieces. Act as a spokesperson. Use social media to raise awareness and pressure targets.
Budget – assist in the development of the budget as related to the position and stay within the budget. Submit reimbursement receipts in a timely way.
This position will require engagement outside of business hours and beyond the confines of the office. Flexibility is essential.
· Minimum one year of grassroots organizing experience, with a strong preference for someone with a field and/or phone canvass management background.
· Positive, constructive team player with ability and desire to collaborate on campaigns as they evolve.
· Demonstrated commitment to racial and environmental justice.
· Self-motivated, quick learner, strategic thinker with a strong work ethic and ability to handle stresses of organizing for change in the petrochemical capital of the country.
· Articulate public speaker – history of working with the media a plus.
· Strong grasp of Microsoft Windows & Office – familiarity with constituency management databases, graphic design and social media. Technical expertise with computers and software preferred.
· Able to write clearly about complex issues – experience writing for social change groups or outlets a plus.
· Successful fundraising experience – other development work (i.e. grant-writing or event planning) a plus.
· Must have personal transportation to attend meetings in Greater Houston.
Texas Campaign for the Environment/Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, ranging from $32,000 to $38,000. Benefits include medical/dental/vision insurance, paid sick days, holidays and generous vacation time. Some weekend and evening work is expected.
How to Apply & Deadline: Submit cover letter, resume and contact information for two references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 06/10/2019.