Do you know that just by changing a few old habits, you can reduce how often you use your stove? Here are some great tips!
- Covered pots boil faster
- Pressure cookers and microwave ovens reduce cooking time
- When cooking multiple things, re-use an already hot burner or heated oven
- Let frozen food thaw before cooking
- Cut food into smaller pieces before cooking - so that it cooks more quickly
- Turn off stove before finishing cooking; the pot will continue to retain its heat for a while
- Pick the right size pot for what you are trying to cook
- Electric heats more consistently than gas; however, convection heats even more consistently and quickly
- Many foods don’t require preheating the oven
- You can turn the oven off earlier, if you don’t open the door while baking
- Opening the oven door can cause the temperature to drop by 25-75 degrees
Are there things you do to save energy at the stove? Please post comments and share them!